History.

History

vintage elkhart lake fire engineOn October 10, 1897, the village board of Elkhart Lake established the Elkhart Lake Hook and Ladder Company. A firemen’s dance two months later helped to raise funds for a hook and ladder truck. A year later, the Fire Department published its first constitution. A year after that, a hose cart was purchased, and Department members were issued uniforms.

elkhart lake fire engineA private shed housed the Department’s equipment until 1903, when it used funds from picnics and dances to purchase and remodel a school house to use as a fire station. A new station was built in 1950. Its dedication was a grand event, drawing 30 fire chiefs and 400 firemen from surrounding communities.

The Department purchased lakefront property in 1931 for its park, relocated a boathouse there in 1933, and purchased additional land in 1938 and 1942. For decades, Fireman’s Park and Swimming Beach has been the site of the Elkhart Lake Fireman's Independence Day Celebration. For the rest of the summer, the park is open to the public for swimming and other recreation.

The history of the Elkhart Lake Fire Department is a history of the latest technology applied to firefighting and rescue work. From the beginning, trucks and other equipment were added to and updated whenever possible. In 1950, when a boy drowned in the lake and it was suspected he could have been saved by a respirator, donations were raised to purchase that device. By 1978, every Fire Department truck had two-way radios. The year after that, the Department purchased a Jaws of Life. In 1982, each member was issued a pager.

The Elkhart Lake Fire Department celebrated its centennial in 1997. Today, its second century of service to the community of Elkhart lake is well underway.

Record of Elkhart Lake Fire Chiefs

● Art Hein: 1897-1900

● J.G. Brickbauer: 1900-1905

● John Arndt 1905-1907

● Peter Kramer: 1907-1909

● Arthur Raeder: 1909-1911

● Col. Gessert: 1911-1914

● H.R Brockman: 1914-1916

● August Struck: 1916-1921

● Peter Kramer: 1921-1934

● George Bauernfeind: 1934-1942

● Ray H. Kramer: 1942-1955

● Harold Wolf: 1955-1956

● Arno Conrad: 1956-1967

● Larry Buechel: 1967-1993

● Edward Weber: 1993-2003

● Robert Schmitt: 2003-2005

● John Reiss: 2005-2011

● Pat Zorn: 2011-present

Record of Elkhart Lake Secretary & Treasurer

● Peter Kramer: 1900-1901

● Henry Kramer: 1901-1902

● Louis Brieske: 1902-1903

● Henry Kramer: 1903-1904

● Louis Brieske: 1904-1920

● H. Otto Grade: 1920-1935

● Elmer Brieske: 1935-1939

● Wiliam Metze: 1939-1941

● Ewald Brieske: 1941-1942

● Norbert Janty 1942- 1950

● Edward Giebler: 1950-1952

● Roland Gosse Sr.: 1952-1963

● Leroy Feldman 1963-1998

● Daniel Schmitt: 1998-2000

● John Reiss: 2000-2004

● Darren Lindstrom: 2004-2012

● Robert Schmidt: 2010- present

Fire Department

History
Firefighters
Emergency Services
Fire Prevention Program
Equipment
Community Impact
Honors & Awards
Join Our Ranks

Leadership

Pat Zorn
Chief
(business card download)

Troy Conrad
1st Assistant Chief
(business card download)

Rob Schmidt
2nd Assistant Chief
(business card download)

PDF Downloads

General Trifold
Recruiting Trifold
Fire Prevention Program

Contact Us

Elkhart Lake Fire Department
610 S. Lincoln Street
P.O. Box 66
Elkhart Lake, WI 53020
(920) 876-3333
elfdfirehouse@frontier.com

 
Back to Top
Enter your Infotext or Widgets here...