Frequently Asked Questions.

Welcome to Elkhart Lake Wisconsin / Police / Frequently Asked Questions


Here are some answers to the most common questions asked of Elkhart Lake Police Department members. If your specific question is not listed, feel free to e-mail your question or call us at (920) 876-2244.

A: The Elkhart Lake Police Department is a part-time department, staffed eight to 20 hours a day, seven days a week.
A: If you are calling for an emergency, hang up and dial 911. If you are calling on a matter that is not an emergency but needs immediate attention, call the Sheboygan County Sheriffs Department at (920) 459-3112 or if you are calling from within the county, you may use their 800 number, 1-800-924-0700, ext. 3112. If the matter does not need immediate attention, leave a detailed message regarding why you called, including your name and phone number, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
A: You do not have to appear in court if the citation does not indicate a mandatory appearance and you send the deposit amount as shown on your citation at least three days prior to your court date. The deposit may be paid in person at the Elkhart Lake Police Department , or mail to:

Elkhart Lake Clerk of Courts
84 North Lake Street
P.O. Box 412
Elkhart Lake, WI 53020-0578

*NOTE: Include your citation and the court date with your check or money order to assure proper handling.

A: Yes, if your fine is not past due by over a year, you can either stop in at the Elkhart Lake Police Department with your credit card or, you can now pay on-line. Simply go to Government Payment EXP, follow the instructions. You will need to know our location code which is 1787, your citation number, and the fine amount. If you have misplaced your citation, feel free to call us for the information.
A: The date on the citation is the date of your initial appearance. An initial appearance is your opportunity to enter a plea to the charge. You may plead either GUILTY, NO CONTEST, or NOT GUILTY. The initial appearance is not the trial date and the Municipal Judge will not hear any extenuating circumstances. Should you plead guilty or no contest, the court will find you guilty and the matter will be resolved at the initial appearance. If you should plead not guilty, your case will be scheduled for a court or jury trial at a later date depending on your request and payment of fees.

*PLEASE NOTE: If you do not appear or enter a plea before your return date (the date on the citation), the court will find you guilty, impose a fine and costs, allow 60 days for payment or suspend your license until paid in full. You shall assume additional costs for reinstatement of your license. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to contact the court BEFORE the return date listed on the citation. IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT APPEARING IN COURT, PLEASE CONTACT THE ELKHART LAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT.

If you have any questions regarding the payment of a fine, you may contact the Traffic/Booking Department in your county or the Elkhart Lake Police Department. Please understand that the staff in the Clerk of Courts Office or the Elkhart Lake Police Department are not attorneys and are unable to advise you on legal matters. If you need some legal advice, contact an attorney first.

A: Rather than calling your local police department, please visit the State of Wisconsin's website called the SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY.
A: Your childs drivers license is issued by the WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION and they post this information on their web page. If you wish to talk to a representative in person, you can stop in at their office, 3603 Kohler Memorial Drive, Sheboygan or call them at (920) 459-3870.
A: Yes, if you sign a waiver agreeing not to sue the Elkhart Lake Police Department or its agents should the car be damaged in the process. Or you may contact a locksmith to make arrangements to have your vehicle opened. The nearest locksmith in our locality is in the City of Plymouth and can be reached by an emergency phone number.
A: Reports generated by the Elkhart Lake Police Department are usually available within three to five days after the incident and can be obtained in person at the department seven days a week. Cost is $.25 per page payable in advance. If you're in need of such a report, call the department first before attempting to make contact at our offices so you know if help is available.
A: Simply stop in at the police department, 40 Pine Street, or give us a call at 876-2244 to make arrangements.
A: To check if the person has been arrested for either a felony or misdemeanor in Wisconsin go to WI Record Check and fill out the appropriate paper work. To check criminal histories in other states go to Other States and find the paperwork for the state you are interested in. You must realize that only misdemeanor and felony records appear in criminal history checks, if you wish to find out about ordinance violations you would have to call each police department individually.
A: Sorry, due to National Security concerns we will no longer trade or sell patches.
A: Vehicle registration and driver licensing is handled by the WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION or your local state DOT Office. The Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Department has an on-line registration renewal site. For our area, the nearest Motor Vehicle Registration Station is in the City of Sheboygan.

Contact Us

40 Pine Street
PO Box 578
Elkhart Lake, WI 53020
Phone: 920-876-2244
Fax: 920-876-2795


Michael Meeusen
Chief of Police

Terese Shaw
Administrative Assistant
Scott Niemi

Renee Bramstedt

Back to Top
Enter your Infotext or Widgets here...